At present when you are dimensioning in vectorworks it automatically goes onto the class layer dimension by default. Is there a way to change this so it goes onto a new class created by the user ?, ie dimension-ext. walls.

We currently have to dimension on the dimension layer and then change/move it to the class we require which is obviously a touch long winded.

Your help would be appreciated.

I run into the same issue. I dimension the Mod-Floor Plan. Then I layer link this plan to my site plan. I need to dimension the site plan but I don't want the dimensions of the Mod-Floor Plan to show. I only want a few dimensions on the site plan showing distance of building to property lines.

This forces me to have the dimensions of the Mod plan as Dimension-1 and the dimensions on the Site plan as Dimension-2.

Is this the way it is supposed to work or is there a better way?

Yes, in my opinion it is the way it's supposed to work. This is parallel to the discussions of groups defaulting to the none class and I agree with the way VW handles both. To answer your question, I think a better way would be to rename your dimension classes to ModDim and SiteDim, only to make them more recognizable (not sure if that is what you were after). I never change the name of the none class or dimension class. I think it does take a certain amount of discipline for this system, but like anything else once you get the flow it comes easy.