Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Control Geometry?

RickR

Is control geometry limited to 2D or simple objects?

I'm still poking at my little curtain project. I'm going back to having some existing objects that get manipulated by Marionette. All the variables with SoftGoods just seems to complex for the current nodes.

So, the attached file has a very simple little network that does what I want with 2 SoftGoods parts, but only when wrapped and converted to a PIO. Otherwise I get multiple moves every time the network runs. That's fine because that's what I want eventually.

But now I can't get to the source SG objects without un-converting and unwrapping. If they aren't control geometry then what is? And how do I get to the SG objects??

• Marionette Maven

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're hoping to do/where you're running into an issue.

First off, I don't see a "Control Geometry" node in your network. In most cases, this is what you want to use if you're planning to use control geometry (although it is acceptable to continue using the "Name" nodes, it's just important to understand that they won't work the same way that control geometry does)

Where are you placing your soft goods objects? When you wrap your network, are you placing them into the control geometry of the Marionette Object?

(Side note: We currently only have support for a single piece of control geometry, although there may be ways around this, so placing two soft goods objects into the control geometry will likely not behave as you would expect)

Can you give me a better explanation if what you're hoping to accomplish? I'm more than happy to help.

The PDF is an example of why I want this. It is typical of the stupid things architects routinely do.

Also see my earlier post, with a file that mostly works. https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=228003#Post228003 In that file I create the SG objects in the network. But it seems SG objects are just a bit too complex for automated work.

In the recent file I tried a different tactic, by starting with SG objects. I thought I could get to them easily later to change any of the fine details as needed.

I knew this was not what was intended for control geometry, but thought I'd give it a try.

Oops!

I forgot why I abandoned this approach earlier. SG objects will not take their length by the SetRecord node. It works great for single straight runs in the OIP, but not via Marionette.

Sigh! Back to wrestling with classes and other features. There has to be a way to get to the current settings for new objects.