Epson 1520

I am using Vectorworks 8.5 and print to a epson 1520. Lately i am getting a "shadow" vertical line to the right of bold text or heavy line weights. Is this a problem with the epson or vectorworks? Also is there any printer under $1000 that can handle A2 paper like the epson 1520. I do not think epson even makes one anymore?

That problem doesn't ring a bell for me with VW 8. Then again, it's an older application.

Have you updated the driver for that printer since Dec 2000? That's the latest version of the print driver.

Does it work in other documents?

Are you using VW 8.5. or 8.5.2?

They still sell the 1520, you know. And I'm pretty sure Epson makes at least one other wide-carriage, a newer model that takes the newer patentable ink cartridges, with a microchip built in so that Brand-X can't make cartridges for them.

My memory is that the 1520, and also all other Epson wide-carriage printers, allows A2 paper to pass through the machine, but only prints on the same print area as for 13" x 19" paper. Is that what yours does? My Epson 1160 does that. The 1160 was a cheaper cousin to the 1520, and it isn't made any more, but I'm very glad I have it rather than the HP 1220c that we have at the office, which has many software problems and also doesn't come close to matching screen colors, and broke irreparably after 2 years of use.

Check-out the Epson 3000, there seems to be TWO varieties, (1) the original that will output a full 17"x22" (still available on ebay), & the newer that seems to be the same 13"x19" that the 1520 will do. Printers use the older one for proofing with a RIP but also works well for same purpose for 50% output for proofing

Don,

For what it is worth, I use an Epson 1270 A3 plotter at home on occasions.

I get a similar effect when fluff builds up around the print heads [usually the black because it leads the carriage and seems to pick up small deposits off the armature].

You could try cleaning with a double layer of clean paper as you manually slide the carriage across!

Skip