Marionette / Vectorscript / Python - Strategies for drawing objects

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would love some resources that detail strategies for drawing objects using Marionette and/or scripting. I've struggled with this every time I try and tackle scripting. Everything that I've been able to find directly related to VW is very technical. I was hoping Marionette would bridge some of this (and it still may, I know its early days) but from my initial experiments this knowledge is still needed.

For example, say I want to make a circular array of an object. Its a pretty straight forward example but how do I approach the geometry?

- Do I draw all of the objects at 0,0 and move them along various vectors at specified angles?

- Or do I move the first object the radius distance along x and then duplicate and rotate various objects around the circle?

- Or do I create an array of points and insert the objects directly on those points?

- How do I best manage the rotation of the object itself around its centre point?

(I've posted my best guess in a thread in the Marionette forum - https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=215763#Post215763)

I would love some strategies for duplicating along paths, along 2d objects (ie. around rectangles with objects specifically at the corners) or attached to 3d vertices.

You can generally find information about this on the internet but I'm looking for strategies that best match the scripting tools within VW. VS has so many undocumented idiosyncrasies and the hybrid 2d/3d/Layer Plane mess just adds to the challenges.

Thank you,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet