Viewports Visibility

I'm new here and I'm new to VW, so please forgive me if this is already answered. If so, please guide me to it. When I began drafting years, and years, ago, we used paper, pencil, and a scale rule. In drawing I could put a detail on the same page in a different scale. Not necessarily on a different sheet, but on the same sheet. How can I use Viewports to do that? When I try, I only get to see either the detail or the design layer, or the detail is on a different sheet. All layer/class options are visible. Is there something I'm missing? I'm lost here.

VW 2015 SP3

Thanks.

Thanks. I think what was never really clear to me before was having to put everything onto a sheet layer. Even if I don't rescale, the original items go onto the sheet layer and I never print the design layer. (I know, kind of makes sense and becomes a "duh" afterward) I guess I'm still used to designing and drawing on the same page. (or sheet)