Dimensional constraints relative/dependent to each other

Art V

Question

In AutoCAD et al it is possible to set dimensional constraints to be dependent on another dimensional constraint.

For example two arcs with a geometric and dimensional constraint applied.

E.g. I have a rectangle of 100m width and length with an arc at one of the corners that has a fixed radius of 10m from that corner. Then I have a second arc with its centre on that same corner and a radius of 5m more than the first arc (i.e. 15m in this case).

When I need to change the radius of the first arc to e.g. 15m it would be nice if the radius of the second arc would automatically adjust to in this case 15+5=20m instead of having to do this manually.

In AutoCAD et al I can name the dimensional constraint of the first arc e.g. "rad1" and of the second arc "rad2" and then update the expression (=value) for the second arc to "rad2=rad1+5" .

Whenever I update "rad1" it will also adjust "rad2" and maintaining the extra 5m radius relative to the first arc.

Or... I could have the radius of arc 1 to be dependent on the length of one of the sides of the rectangle and arc 2 to be dependent on arc 1 as described above. I guess you can imagine the rest of the possibilities.

Now it would require creating parametric plug-in objects to achieve this, which is not something for everyone to do.

It would great if these geometric/dimensional constraints would also be kept when turning some objects into a group or symbol.

Edited by Art V

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet