Opening Old Files in VW10

VW 10 can convert MC 7 - 9 files. There is a batch conversion command under File for this.

For files from versions prior to MC 7, you'll need one of the versions between 7 and 9 to convert these files first, then convert those files to VW 10.

Please contact Sales at 1-888-646-4223 for a version of VW between 7 and 9 for this purpose.

Katie,

I have been using Graphsoft products for some time now. In fact one of my old projects is featured on the wrapper of Vectorworks 10. I would like access to old files like the one you have featured so that in the remote chance I get new work that relates I don't have to go back to square one. Presently I have a very old Mac Quatra 950 set up running an old version of MiniCad. There must be a better way. The version I was trying to open was version 6 dated from 1998. [Confused]

If it's a MC 6 file, it will need to be opened in MC 7, VW 8 or VW 9 first. Once the file is converted to one of these versions, the file can be opened in VW 10.

VW is only backwards compatible 3 versions at a time.

I've added suggestions for allowing VW to convert older older older files as well to the wish list.

Sorry for the delay but I have been away on business. Now back to the old file issue. I have successfully opened files with File Translator (VectorWorks 9).

1.Is their a newer version planed for vector works 10?

2. What about file previous to minicad 6? I had another translator for earlier files 4 & 5. What about those.

I was trying to gather samples of old work to show a potential client. As a industrial designer old work is sometimes as important as new. I also hate redoing work from scratch. We can't discard the past with out affecting the future.

Regards,

--

Robert John Tiedemann

Tiedemann Design

417 Courtland Avenue.

Stamford, CT 06906

[Confused]

For file versions prior to MC 7, if you do not have VW 8 or VW 9, you will need to get MC 7 CD from Customer Service.

MC 7 can convert back to MC 4 files. Once the files are converted to MC 7, VW 10 can convert them to working documents.

If you have VW 9, it can convert back to MC 6 files.

VW 8 can convert back to MC 5 files and MC 7 can go back to MC 4 files.

If you are on a mac, there is a apple script converter on the webpage under the downloads section that can convert files to MC 6. Of course, you'll need another version between 6 and 10 to convert these files to 10.