Inserting Specific Plant Species into Drawing

akushner

Hi, Everyone. I'm new to using Vectorworks Landmark, so please excuse the basic question. I've done some of the landmark tutorials and searched for this answer and can't seem to figure it out...

If I want to insert a specific plant species into my drawing, do I need to first create that plant object? The only plant objects I can find are general things such as "evergreen shrub" or "ornamental tree". Do I need to create an object for every specific plant I want to use, linking the symbol to information in the VW plants database? Is there anywhere to get pre-made symbols of common landscape plants?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,

Adam

Hi Adam

Here's what I do...(by the way if you can update your signature others can see the details of your system)

Using your resource browser(you'll be using this a lot in the future)look at the vw library and select one of the plant object files.

When you open this (in the resource browser) right click on the symbol you wish to use and select make active.

Then (assuming you have selected the place plant tool) you can select the plant tool preferences from the tool bar.

Press edit definition and then select get plant data. This is the interface between the vw plant data base and you symbol.

You can then select the data or plant you wish.

Once you have done this you'll see a number of other settings you can make. There is loads more to this, if your a Service Select member there are some excellent videos which go through this type of process.

Have fun :)

Thank you so much! That was very helpful.

For organization, do you create a vectorworks document where you place all the plants that you use? This way you can create a shortcut to that file in the resource browser and just drag and drop plants? Or is there an easier way to stay organized with plants that you commonly use?

Adam

What I have done is create a document I call Office standards...all my plants are listed by type in the resource browser. Once you have a master document you can reference it at any time with your resource browser. Also when naming plants I use their botanical name which makes it really easy for me to sort. I also place font styles, scripts, title blocks a whole assortment of goodies. Hope that helps....using your resource browser correctly takes a bit of getting used to. I would search out some reference videos.

VW Utube videos