Drawing steel beams in plan view

whashisface

Question

It would be very useful to be able to draw steel beams/sections directly into the plan view rather than having to draw a column and then rotate it in side view.

Having the ability to change the angle/incline of steel sections in the object info palette would also be pretty useful when drawing cranked columns and roof structures.

This has been a pretty standard function in other 3D CAD tools I've had the pleasure to use for quite a while now.

6 answers to this question

It would also be very useful to be able to set the z value of beams to top of steel rather than the centre axis of the beam.

This would make coordinating with structural engineer information much much simpler as well as changing the size of a beam as a project develops.

Again, this has been a pretty standard function of your competitors for quite a while now!

So I've got the hang of the framing member tool. Which is great for beams and cranked beams but I now need to connect some columns for these cranked beams.

Is there a way to specify a bevel and/or mitre to the top of a steel section column?

There doesn't seem to be an option in either the column tool or wide flange - 3D tool.

Can anyone help?