Publish Command Broken?

I've getting text gibberish using VW 2015 publish command. Every time, no matter the font.

As a test create a new blank document and place any graphic and text elements you wish. Create a viewport on a new sheet layer. Execute the publish to pdf command and print.

All I get is unreadable scrambled text. Changing fonts, printers, page size, etc. produces the same problem. Publishing from existing VW2014 documents produces the same scrambled text.

Printing pdf's produced using VW2014 publish command and printing to pdf using OS 9.5 print command produce correct text.

Am I missing some setting in the Publish command that was changed in VW2015?

Thanks,

Bob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Wait, publishing from 2014 documents in 2014 DOES produce the same problem? Or do you mean files from 2014 but brought into 2015 have the same scrambled text?

Does the same occur if you use File > Export > Export PDF?

I am not able to replicate this here in 2015 SP1 on OS X 10.9.5.

Hello Jim,

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain all the points very well. Publishing from VW2014 is OK. Publishing from VW2015 using documents originally created in VW2014 are not OK.

The problem appears to be specific to VW2015.

I haven not yet tried File > Export > Export PDF. Will attempt it and report back.

BTW literally the moment I clicked send on my original post I received the pop up the VW2105 SP1 was available. Downloaded and ran some trials. No change, the problem persists.

Bob

Hello Jim,

Tried File > Export > Export PDF (used default settings) and the resulting pdf printed with the same garbled text. BTW in all previous pdf the screen display (and print previews) looked OK.

I haven't made any recent changes to my system other than updating my copy of Microsoft Office 2011 (v14.4.5). Just sayin'. ;-)

Bob

No problem when printing directly from VW 2015.

Just discovered: ALL pdf's generated using the VW 2015 Publish command that printed garbled text via Adobe Reader print OK when printing from the Preview app. So the problem appears to be some miscommunication between VW 2015 and Adobe Reader (11.0.09)?

Bob

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well if you don't see the problem in Reader, only when you print, I would suspect the issue is between Adobe Reader and the printer. If the problem happened when printing from Vectorworks directly it would likely be an issue in Vectorworks. If the problem is within the PDF export of Vectorworks, you would see it in any PDF reader application, Preview as well.

Thanks for the straightforward summary.

What you say makes perfect sense though I am puzzled why the problem appeared on more than one printer. One Epson and the other a networked Ricoh printer/copier.

I'll just continue with Preview.

Now out of the office and on to the baseball game.

Bob