Default Record Format In Symbols

What I am trying to do is draw various symbols that are linked to a record, I want to display the various information for each symbol, Type, Name,Location etc.. (all information that is in the record) which is fine. I create the symbol and inside I create text boxes that are then linked to the record, this then displays the default information that is contained with the record format, so in the data tab (without having anything selected) I change the default symbol information which from what I have read in the help guide should be just for that symbol. How ever when I exit that symbol it changes the information for all the symbols not just the one I have just created even if they are different names.

So the next thing I tired was attaching the record to the "outside of the symbol" by having the text still inside the symbol showing the default information then attaching the record to the outside and entering the data this way, which is fine if you duplicate the symbol the information stays as you have entered it, however if you bring the symbol in from the resource browser then it reverts to the default information. This is a problem as we tend to have a base drawing containing the symbols and use that base drawing as a library and bring the symbols in to new documents from the resource browser.

Is it a case that I have to duplicate the record for each symbol or am I missing something??

I can't seem to get my head around being able to isolate the information to a specific symbol.

(if you need anything explained better please ask)

I think you will need to create an extra level of symbols to do what you want. A single record format is fine.

Each Symbol Instance (object placed in the drawing) has its own record data, but when a new Instance is created it will use the Record Defaults. You can override this by making a symbol within a symbol.

Create a symbol with attached text and edit the record values to what you want them to be. With that symbol selected, create a new symbol from the first. For this second symbol, click the box that says "Create Plug-In Object." What this means is that it will not insert as the "outside" symbol but rather as the "contained" symbol, but with the record data included. To show that this is turned on, the name of the "outside" symbol will show in BLUE in the Resource Browser.

Trying to phrase this a different way.

1. Insert Symbol-A and edit the record data.

2. Select Symbol-A and create a new symbol. Call it Symbol-B. Check the "Create Plug-In Object box".

3. Look in the OIP (Object Info Pallete) the new symbol should have a name of Symbol-B.

4. Drag a copy of Symbol-B into the drawing from the Resource Browser.

5. Look in the OIP. This last object should have a name of Symbol-A, but have the edited record data you are looking for.

I hope this is clear.

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the help, this has resolved the problem of the information staying with the symbol when going between documents which is great.

Now the question is, is there a way of using the master plugin to override information of the other symbols.

Basically if the information for a "footprint" changes can I change one and it will change all of that definition?

I know I could use the wand to select all with the same name and change it all at once, but if I do that and drop a new symbol in it has the old information.

Many thanks again.