problem downloading 2014 service packs

Guest Jim Kelly

Which browser are you using to download it?

If you go to Apple > About This Mac and click "More info", and click the Storage tab, does the resulting window agree with your expectation as to how much storage you have? Is your machine aggressively paging maybe and using disk space (I can't see it using 70GB, but just throwing out ideas here), if so a reboot will help (although if you are that close you'll likely start running out of disk space regularly after the installation).

[Edit: Stupid thing wouldn't show my Apple! :P ]

Edited by Jim Kelly

Thanks Jim,

I've had my Mac wiped and reset at a Genius bar, they freed up plenty of GB so I now have 117GB free. I have just tried downloading SP3 again and in the Downloads the progress bar hangs, at that point my Mac just freezes completely with a message saying that I have run out of application memory. I have 8GB. If I trash the partial download everything is fine again so it looks to be associated with the VW download itself.

I guess I'll have to struggle on without any VW updates for now and get on to the VSS people tomorrow.

cheers, Andrew

Guest Jim Kelly

Hi Andrew,

I strongly suspect it's something with your setup, perhaps bad RAM? It shouldn't be possible for a download to freeze your computer completely. The service packs are large, but not that large, only about a half GB at their largest usually. Additionally the browser shouldn't be keeping the whole thing in memory anyway, it should be writing it to disk as it downloads it, so it shouldn't be possible to run out of memory downloading it.

Did they run any hardware tests when you were at the Genius bar?

Sorry, I know it's frustrating, especially if this seems like it's turning into one of those one company says it's the fault of the other's type of things. :/

Maybe try running the built-in hardware diagnostics?

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11342