OS 10.2.2 Printing Problems

MikeB

I upgraded to OS 10.2.2 yesterday, I am using a G4 733, with 256 Mb ram and VW 9.5.3

Since upgrading, when I use the print command VW unexpectedy quits. The crash happens befor the print dialogue opens. This happens every time with every printer and with every file. Its is happening on at least 2 machines in the office, I will have to check the rest today.

Is anyone else having problems?

OK,

It seems our Oce 9300 is the culprit. I removed the printer from the print center and the print dialogue now opens again. I reinstalled it using a new driver downloaded from the Oce site ( www.oce.com ) and if it is selected as the default printer the VW will crash before the print dialogue will open. If it is not the default printer and I select the Oce 9300 in the print dialogue in VW, VW will crash.

I updated from OS 10.2.1

I'm not sure where to turn here.

[ 11-14-2002, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: MikeB ]

I figured that would be the case. I've heard of this happening to a few different people that have updated from 10.2.x to 10.2.2 - well those that have called in and I've talked to.

There could be more out there.

I read something similar to this at the apple website. It said when updating to Jaguar, the printers may not be available. (different situation). The solution was to reinstall the PPD and/or re-setup the printer again.

Hi Mike,

I posted about this somewhere too, the only difference is that it surfaced under 10.2.1. We have one Quicksilver that is exhibiting that problem. All apps other than VW 9.5.3 can print fine, but the first print to print center hangs for a while, then disappears without going anywhere. All subsequent prints don't even make it to the print center.

We have one G45 at 10.2.2 can print from all flavors of VW 8.5.2 to 10.0 and then three G4s at 10.2.1 all at 9.5.3 printing fine, even three at 10.1.5.

The misbehaving machine has been demoted to be an OS 9 machine for the short term, my plan is to check a couple of things after doing some research, swap out RAM chips, and repair permissions.

After that I will probably wipe the drive and start over...

• 1 month later...

10.2.3 fixes alot of 'wierd' printing problems.

There were a number of HP and Epson printers that were NOT compatible with OS 10.2.2. It looks like it's all been fixed with 10.2.3.

I've been telling all my customers to update to 10.2.3, especially those having quirky problems that I can't quite put a finger on.

As always, it's a good idea to contact your major sofware vendors and check for compatibility with this version of Jaguar.

While VW seems to love this OS, there are a few programs having significant problems with this version of the OS. Most of these programs, the majority of VW user's are not using... None the less, it's always a good idea to check.