Wall Layer Join Conditions.

RCrussellUK

I have 2 questions about wall join conditions:

1. At the junction of three distinct walls, I don't seem to be able to avoid the perpendicular one forming a wedge to connect to the other two (image 1). This means that I get a little flap of said wall on other side where I am using a layer which does not cover the entire side of the main wall (image 2).

2. How do I control the wall surfaces on the inside of window reveals? Where for example I want my plaster to wrap around to the window frame (image2).

Thanks again!

OK unjoin all walls, use their handels to move the ends back and then use the remove wall breaks tool to clean up the wall ends. ie start over:

Then join them in this way and order:

1. Join the 2 thiner walls with the L-join mode.

2. Join the thickest wall to the wall with the 'middle' thickness using the t-join mode.

Some that may help:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161435#Post161435

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've followed the instructions and unfortunately I end up breaking the model (Wall Join Four image)

If I use L where you say use T join (Wall Join Three image) This should render okay and removes the wedge/flap of wall that pokes through onto the outside but is still not a tidy join in plan.

Just noticed your link, will check that out now.

Edited by RCrussellUK

Sorry Ross my bad, was a bit too hasty there:

Here's the way to do it:

Separate and begin from the start as I explained earlier, then join the 2 parallel walls first using the L-join, then join the perpendicular wall to the one it meets using the T-join. However here's the catch, for this to work the perpendicular wall needs to meet one of the parallel walls completely (as you have shown it the perpendicular wall is meeting the parallel walls exactly where they meet and this will give a warning dialog when using the method i just described.) So make sure that the parallel walls meet at a point equal too one of the sides of the perpendicular wall. Hard to follow see the image below:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9890&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-11-22%20kl.%2013.18.10.png

Edited by Vincent C

Ah great! I had tried something similar to this before, the key was having capped wall join mode on. Many thanks for your guidance.

I've still not figured out the side wall of the window opening though. This is something persistent with plug in window object. I've been looking in the window settings for a clue.

Edited by RCrussellUK
Sorry Ross my bad, was a bit too hasty there:

Here's the way to do it:

Separate and begin from the start as I explained earlier, then join the 2 parallel walls first using the L-join, then join the perpendicular wall to the one it meets using the T-join. However here's the catch, for this to work the perpendicular wall needs to meet one of the parallel walls completely (as you have shown it the perpendicular wall is meeting the parallel walls exactly where they meet and this will give a warning dialog when using the method i just described.) So make sure that the parallel walls meet at a point equal too one of the sides of the perpendicular wall. Hard to follow see the image below:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9890&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-11-22%20kl.%2013.18.10.png

Sorry Vincent, but in the latest version of VW, there is no need anymore for this 'workaround'. You just need to connect the walls by an L and T join first. Then you can connect the components as VW will not connect them correct default. It may take some rejoins of wall components, but it works, and doesn't break other things like floors bound to those walls.

What Dieter means is that instead of getting the wall joins to look correct just join the walls in any old fashion and fix the inconcequences by joining individual components in the walls. Ie in your original join you could have fixed it by L-joining the thinnest walls inner component with one of the other walls inner components. Or simply by joining all the outer components correctly.....

Edited by Vincent C

I didn't realise I could effect the join conditions of individual components beyond selecting the core component that will cut though to an adjacent core component? Do you mean the component selected with the cursor during the actual wall join operation? I mean this ability would be great. it's what I imagined VW would be able to do before I starting using it.

Edited by RCrussellUK