Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Functions with incorrect Availability

Hippocode

Many VectorScript functions exist in VW before they are released in the VectorScript Function Reference (VSFR) or on the Developer's site. They can be found in a file in the user's Plug-ins folder with the name "VWPluginLibraryRoutines.p".

In the past, this file has acted as a proving ground for new functions before they are documented. I believe the release version shown with each function is the version that function's documentation was moved into the public domain.

Likewise, on the other end of a function's life, you will see them marked with an OBSOLETE label, but you will also find that obsolete functions will work several versions after being marked as such. This is a courtesy given to scripters and developers by the NV Staff to allow time to rewrite existing code with newer functions replacing the obsolete ones.

In actuality an accurate function list would have four versions defining its existence:

First Compile Version

Release Version

Obsolete Version

Last Compile Version

The versions shown on the Developer's site and in the VSFR are the "Release Version" and the "Obsolete Version". Please don't ask to have this changed. It took a lot of work to make the currently shown versions consistent.

Raymond

The versions shown on the Developer's site and in the VSFR are the "Release Version" and the "Obsolete Version". Please don't ask to have this changed. It took a lot of work to make the currently shown versions consistent.

Raymond

I'm not sure why there would need to be a first compile version. If implemented they should work.

If this version wouldn't work properly while the release version does yes you are right. But these functions all work and I don't see why it wouldn't be usefull to know when they can be used. I don't mind them having a tag 'first compile'.

If implemented they should work.

I believe that's the Holy Grail for all of Programming. For me, IMPLEMENTED means fully checked out and documented. Just because something compiles doesn't mean it is fully functional. Even released routines can contain bugs. Unreleased routines are expected to have bugs until proven otherwise.

The VWPluginLibraryRoutines.p file is a proving ground for NEW routines. I, for one, am happy the engineers put out their preliminary work before all the nitty gritty details are in place. It usually takes a lot longer to produce formal documentation and thoroughly test out an idea than to write the idea down.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use the unreleased calls. On the contrary, use them and prove to yourself that they do work, and when you find a bug or a shortcoming, send in a report to get it resolved.

Since I'm not an NV employee, these are only my opinions and do not reflect any policies or procedures for implementing or releasing new VS routines. That said, I believe the current system works well. If you're like me and these version numbers are of interest to you, keep a list. I do.

Raymond