Version icons

I think this is an OS problem. Anyway, it happens every release.

Just installed v2014. Looking forward to using it, but when opening it first time, my .vwx file icons changed to the new gold. I want the blue ones to stay blue and all the older ones to keep their native design as well. A couple v2011 files managed to keep their old form, but I think I previously assigned them, one by one, via the Get Info dialog

When trying to change the v2013 files back to blue via a selected v 2013 file in the Get Info panel, the Change All warning dialog misidentifies version of selected file.

Why this assumption that I want all the files to open in a particular version, esp when Vectorworks requires a conversion? New software should not mess with existing files without permission.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=9629&filename=GetInfo.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
Guest Jim Kelly

This is an OS-related issue, essentially surrounding the fact that the OS has no way to distinguish between different Application versions, just applications, and to the OS all vwx files are the same. I believe you can set associations for specific files, so you could perhaps do that.

Thanks, Jim

That's what I thought, but I have a counter example. A v2012 file icon did not change. Maybe some other vwx files, too, I haven't looked everywhere. So there must be some tag or permission feature that prevented that icon change.

Further investigation:

Individual files can be reset via Get Info.

But the Change All feature is screwy:

The OS is apparently (mis)identifying something about the version, because the error message talks about opening v2012 files with v2013. The selected file was v2013. The Change All button always produces such an error dialog with incorrect version numbers (see original post), one version back of selected Open With app. But accepting the (incorrect) error info results in v2014 showing in the icon and the Open with dialog.

As noted by others, OSX used to show a Vectorworks version number in the finder preview pane. My 10.6.8 does not show the version, nor apparently, do the newer OSXs

So, an annual irritation of files losing the visual version identifier.

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ive had the same problem (mainly due to the fact that I have 6-10 versions of vectorworks installed at any given time) and on OS X I have never been able to get around it, unfortunately.

Even the steps given by Apple to associate ALL versions of a file type with a particular app just do not seem to stick. I first noticed this problem in Vectorworks, but I now see it with Screenflow, Adobe CS and a few other software packages.