HDRI Export

When exporting an HDRI image of a rendered area or scene, the Save dialog causes the scene to render, and then 2 files show up in the Save location. The two files are similarly named and both have the hdr extension. But one is prepended with A_

What is the purpose of the A_ file?

One can create HDRI backgrounds from the other file. I have not found a Vectorworks process for combining these two files, eg for an expanded dynamic range. The A_ file is not mentioned in Vectorworks Help section about HDRI export or HDRI background creation. Mystery to me!

-B

OK, apparently that second file with the A_ prepend is an Alpha channel of the image in hdr format. This may be of use in image editors, so a good addition to the export.

But is there some use for it in VWX hdri backgrounds? An overlay process, or some way to add it to environmental lighting?

Any info appreciated.

-B

• 11 months later...

For those of you who have attempted to export HDRI from viewports and goten and error message, here is why. Tech support says:

"I heard back from our engineering department and they confirmed that the HDRI export is restricted to the desktop in part, for DPI reasons. You currently, cannot export viewports to HDRI."