Better Control of Curve Resolution Sent to Cinema 4D

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like direct and better control over the resolution of curve geometry sent to Cinema 4D using the Send to Cinema 4D command.

From what I understand, the geometry detail is linked to what is used for Final Quality Renderworks if no render mode is used when the model is sent (ie. model is in wireframe). It can be customized by adjusting the settings for Custom Renderworks and rendering in Custom Renderworks by exporting. This is a non-intuitive, convoluted way of controlling things and even at Very High, curves often don't have enough geometry.

I would like a direct preference and the ability to set a higher conversion resolution than is currently possible.

Kevin

(PS> I am using the VW->C4D->STL workflow for 3D printing which is why more resolution is needed.)

2 answers to this question

Yes, STL is stereo lithography. I've found that most STL files exported from VW have issues which is why I bring them into C4D for optimization.

If I could export useable STL files directly from VW, you can choose the amount of detail that is exported, geometry wise.

STL problems most often seem to result from Solid Subtractions and Chamfers. Vectorworks seems to flip some of the normals and often leaves holes in geometry when converting.

KM