VectorWorks being too Clever with Textures GRRR!!!

Good day All

This is really frustrating me now as I have redone this several times and in different ways.

Drawing a flat/screen to be used on the stage made from treadplate. a Corner has been cut off at an angle and then extended above it. so the texture stays the same with regards to angle and size.

VW2012 does not see it this way. :mad::mad::mad:

I have drawn a regtangle, drew a guideline and created the top shape with the polygon tool. Then duplicated that shape and moved down the distance required. Drew another guideline and created the bottom shape. Deleted the unwanted lines etc and extruded the two shapes, Applied the treadplate texture and did a OpenGL Render. the two shapes are textured differently (see pic att.)

I then did a rectangle, drew two guidelines at the angle required, drew a polygon and cliped the surfaces, extruded and applied texture - Same result.

I would not want them to be two seprate extrudes and in a different shape it worked as it should.

Also seems the polygon tool is not performing perfectly when snapping to points of lines etc, sometimes does not want to, other times it is a 'Y/axis and other are Endpoint. WTH!!

VW SHOULD STOP BEING TOO CLEVER FOR ITS OWN GOOD AND DRAW WHAT IS ASKED FOR!!

Edited by cad@sggsa
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Carl:

Try changing the mapping type to Plane, use the attribute mapping tool and click on the front surface to set the plane to the front.

Both auto-align planar and perimeter mapping types align the extrude caps to the longest edge of the cap. Usually this is desireable.

Thanks Dave.

But that does not work.

Instead VW is now being dumb...

"This object does not have an editable texture. Only texture with wrapped color shader or mask transparency shader can be edited with the Attribute Mapping tool"

It is a VW texture...fcol :mad:

So how do you Edit the setting that it does not align the extrude caps to the longest edge of the cap???

I have now given up and created two objects. The smaller triangle shape which was giveg the hassle I have rotated the texture to the desirable angle.

Please note:

This is not what I would want VW to do.

Edited by cad@sggsa