Walls missing in viewport

OK - here's an interesting question: I have a large file (too large to post here, unfortunately), which I created in 2009 and then imported into 2011. Firstly a lot of the text formatting (mainly font and size) changed for no good reason, which is a pain, but which I have mostly resolved. The big problem is that I have now realised that only some of the walls appear in viewports. They are all on the same layer and have the same class. If I access the design layer using 'Edit Design Layer' then the missing walls appear. I am attaching a couple of screen grabs showing what I mean.

After looking at the drawing for a while I realised that all the walls which contain one or more doors appear in the viewport, all the rest don't! I can check this by adding a door to a wall - the result is that the wall, with the door, now shows in the viewport.

What's all this about???

Rob

I didn't check that precisely, however I did prove that I can get any of the missing walls to appear if I simply add a door to it. This seems very strange.

In the end I had to recreate all the viewports and then the walls showed up. It must be a glitch, but I'm not sure what.

Rob