Splitting or intersecting extruded objects (??)

Ok, so here is my newest scenario that I need help with:

See the attached file

1. How do I get two objects that are extruded and overlapping, to "cut" each other off? (see the back left corner of the tub walls in the file) I would like to do this with out combining the intersecting objects into one. Basically I would like the two tiles to butt to each other, yet be offset from each other by 1/8". Is the only way to do this to actually draw the intersecting columns/rows at the dimension I want? Ideally I would prefer to create one "tile" then array the initial shape as much as needed to fill the area I need.

2. Can I use the "split" tool on an extruded object? For some reason when I used it on the back right wall of the tub surround, it split the back tiles at a 45 degree angle (zoom in on the back right wall corner while in top/plan view)....

3. Is "x" and y" coordinate in the move command, considered to be relative to what view you are looking at? if so how does it work in the isometric views? (Sorry this is a really basic question, but its late and I cant figure it out!! lol)

4. At one point during my struggling with VW I was able to select a working plane, then click on an object where in the object info pallet (I think), there was a pull down where i could switch the selected object to the current working plane. Now I cant re-create this scenario, am I doing something wrong? In regards to this drawing, Say i create the wall butting into the tub from the side, then duplicate it, it stays on the same plane. Now I need to have the duplicated object flip to the left wall of the tub surround. I thought there was some way to select the side edge of the tub (or back edge for that matter) as the working plane then have the object change planes so it would automatically flip for me.

5. After you create and array an object, is there a way to change the original object, to where it will change all the other objects created by the array? Ex: I create a square, array it, place it all over a room on different working planes, the find out that I actually need to have arrayed a circle. Now I would like to just change one object and not have to go through the process of duplicating and placing the items on the correct working plane.

and last but not least for now....

6. Why do only some of the objects have the "Bot Z" in the object info pallet? I can not for the life of me figure out what I did different to allow the tub skirt to have this option but none of the other objects.

Thanks in advance, if I am not making any sense I apologize....just let me know and I can try to clarify.

Erics

Hi ERK,

1-5) - The tiles cannot cut each other off in this way. You need to use a third object (eg a duplicate, column) or as you suggest, the split tool in Top/Plan view.

If you duplicate your tiles then Model>Intersection you will have a column which you can modify in the OIP to give you your 1/8"

2) The line you draw when using the Split tool determines the angle of the split. Yours was drawn at 45?

1) Work on a getting a single tile correct then duplicate array will work for you. You might like to Modify>Convert to Symbol first.

3) Using the Modify>Move command in any view that is not orthogonal gives expected unhelpful results. Use the Modify>Move>Move 3d command instead.

4) Shift 1 to active the Set Working Plane tool, use the 2nd mode, click on the center of your plane of interest and then click the little eye at the top to view the new Working Plane head on.

5) See 1 above. Create Symbol.

6) Observe the 3d z value of your Symbol. It's usually useful to Edit the Symbol so that it's bottom-z = 0. Then when you come to place it the Bottom Z value in the OIP will make sense.

It's odd but not all 3d objects all have a Bottom-Z value - your tiles however are Grouped - Ungroup them or Edit the Group and you bottom Z-value will be available. Placing a 3d Locus - Locking it - and Modify>Align>Align/Distribute 3d is a useful way to get 3d objects to exactly where you need them.