Scott A. Miller; timberframe; Valley Rafters

• 3 weeks later...

Garry,

Actually glad you started this thread--I've learned a trick or two from the other suggestions.

The limit I see with everyone's notes so far has to do with how precise the valley rafter needs to be. (Will it be copied and placed in another sheet with dim's for shop fabrication, for example?)

The way I've found to be that accurate (seat cut depth & location, tail & backcut angles, etc.) is to create the roof using the VW Create Roof from Walls (or Polygon). This gives the option to control eve, vert cuts, etc. Then I rotate the drawing so the valley/hip is parallel to either the X- or Y-axis and change to an elevation view. (I find this simpler than changing the working plane.)

Now I can see the top of the wall corner, the ridge location, etc. Using the polygon tool, I click the points to create a 2-D version of the rafter. Then extrude and verify location from Plan View. You can always go in and copy the 2-D polygon, paste to another sheet for detail dimensions. By the way, I use the same approach for purlins and jacks?tho purlins can generate the occasional brain cramp with their compound bevel and miter!!

We're a small design/build firm that does a fair amount of unusual timber framing (6 & 8-sided gazebos, pavilions, front entries, etc.) and with this method we have just a little bit of fine tuning during field assembly with a chisel or sanding block.

Good luck!

Travis