Notes section in the Object Info

Waldo

Question

6 answers to this question

I find Record Formats useful, but annoyingly complicated to set up. I have to try and remember how to do it each time. Part of this is that they try and do two things, one is to display the attached data as text within the object, which necessitates the rather convoluted method of attaching record formats to text objects, but the second, which Waldo alludes to is simply to store that information with the object (without displaying it). This latter function could be implemented in a far simpler and more user-friendly way, either through the Resource Browser or the OIP.

one is to display the attached data as text within the object, which necessitates the rather convoluted method of attaching record formats to text objects, but the second, which Waldo alludes to is simply to store that information with the object (without displaying it).

I think you are confusing the attach record with the "link text to record" command. If you setup a record format which can include numbers, booleans, and text fields, the record is always available in the data tab of the OIP.

To attach a record to an object, you just need to select the object and then check the record in the data tab. And if you include the record format in a template, it will always be available for new documents.

The record formats already work through the DATA tab of the OIP.

You create a record format using the resource browser. The interface could be better, but it does not have to be done very often.

You then select the object and go to the DATA tab of the OIP and click the little check box next to your record format and it is attached. This will work to attach records to multiple objects at once.

If you really want the record attached to everything, a short script could attach the record to every object in the file, but you would need to re-run the script after you create new objects.

I think you are confusing the attach record with the "link text to record" command.

Like I say, I have to try and remember how to do it each time...

The interface could be better, but it does not have to be done very often.

That's the problem...it's complicated and you don't do it very often...so you forget how to do it every time...

With all of the clicks I am doing in a drawing, I need something faster. I want to be able to click on an object and see all the information associated to that object without having to make unnecessary clicks that waste time (I do not want to have to click on the data tab every time I want to see specific information, which would be much of the time). It would be nice to have an editable notes field in on the shape tab of the OIP. This notes field would be there for any object, whether it be an individual object, group, symbol, etc. Setting up a record format for each object, yes, is possible, but takes time. Too much time. If the notes area were on the shape tab of the OIP, I would simply be able to click on an object and see the the notes I've put in along with all the other information of that object like class, layer, size of object, and positioning of the object.