Linked Layer model still trumps Unified View

Ken

One huge advantage of Linked Layers over Unified View -- 2D construction lines can be drawn in orthogonal side views. Without the quick ability of tapping a keyboard key, then snapping a few lines in side view, what good is Unified View? I still have to create a Linked Layer model!

Another huge advantage occurs when coming out of a unified layer view. For layer links I don't have to darn *remember* to be looking in top/plan (supposed to be whole building model view) before leaving it to work on my floor plan. In unified layers I can't return to the same perspective because I have enter and leave in top/plan. And I'm not talking about Renderworks Camera either. This is just going back and forth to variously work on the model.

Then there's a top/plan viewport that's also affected.

What am I missing?

Checkmark the Restore Original Views when exiting Unified View mode option.

You can also use the Previous View button on the LH end of the View Bar to return to a previous view.

If you have a particular view you want to return to regularly then use Save View.

Edited by mike m oz

But I have, Mike.

For example, my layers, super simplified, are:

-Walls

-Notes

-Roof (3D)

-Model (linked layer)

My "floor plan" saved view is just Walls and Notes. My unified layer model view is just having the Walls and Roof (3D) layer visible. I created a saved view for it with Restore Unified View checked. My Unified View Options include everything checkmarked.

So when I go into the saved view to look at my unified layer model, it's first in planview because I had been working on the floor plan in top/plan view. When I look at my model in perspective (RW camera), then go back to my floor plan saved view, the Unified View is still on! The walls are all still in perspective!

Shouldn't Unified View turn off automatically when I go to another saved view?

That's why I go to my blank layer called Model and pull in the same layers as links.

Saved Views and Unified View works for me:

- A saved View with Unified View on at the time the view was saved will switch Unified View on.

- A saved View with Unified View off at the time the view was saved will switch Unified View off.

Rather than use a Model layer and Layer Links (or a DLVP) to get a whole of model view use a Saved View with Unified View switched on.

Ken the problem only occurs when you invoke a Top/Plan View Saved View after you have been in a 3D Saved View that has Unified View switched on or in a manually set 3D Unified View.

I've just experimented a little more with this and discovered that if you invoke the Top/Plan View Saved View a second time all of the Design Layers will then return to Top/Plan View.

So yes there is a glitch but it is one that is easily solved by invoking the Top/Plan Saved View a second time. I agree that you shouldn't have to do this and I have submitted a Bug Report on the errant behaviour.

Yes, Mike.

I think it's particularly messy/ annoying/ glitchy when there are preexisting Saved Views, which might be the usual case if people are not so versed in having to replace all Saved Views with new Saved Views of the same thing but with just the Restore Unified View option checked EACH AND EVERY time that unified view is saved anywhere in the drawing!

Thanks for exploring this with me.