Z height issue when converting 3D objects to lighting positions

jeff30127

I have a 3D drawing of a space which contains several fixed height pipes. The pipes are in the drawing at a Z height of 18' and in 3D views everythign looks right. These pipes are sometimes used as lighting positions and sometimes not. When I'm doing a light plot which uses these pipes as lighting positions, I select the pipes (individually) and convert to lighting position. However, as soon as it becomes a lighting position rather than an object, the Z height changes from 18' to 0. In 3D, the pipe still shows up in the correct place, but any lights I put on that pipe show up on the floor (which is my Z height 0). If I change the Z height on the lighting position in the OIP, the lights show up at the right height but the pipe is 18' higher. Is there a simple solution to this or do I need to first change the z height of the pipes to 0 before I convert them to lighting positions and then change the Z height of the lighting position BACK to what the object was originally? I have a lot of these pipes, so doing it that way will be a real pain.

Thanks,

Jeff

VW Designer 2009

Windows

Jeff

The simplest way is to make all the pipes a symbol.

The symbol definition should be a pipe at z=0

The symbol could then be raised up to 18' in the OIP.

or the symbol could be converted to a Light Position Object and the Z height set in its OIP.

Or another way....

Create a symbol for the pipes.

Insert as a symbol for non lighting pipes.

Insert w/ the Position Insert Tool for lighting pipes.

hth

michaelk

Edited by michaelk

Thanks Michael. Since I'm starting with an existing drawing where the piipes already exist with Z heights I was hoping there was a way to simply convert the ones I needed to lighting positions and have them keep their original Z heights, instead of having to delete the existing ones and reinsert them. This may not be possible though.

Next question/problem: I have a couple pipes which are hung at an angle due to the slope of the ceiling. One end of them is at 17' and the other end is around 19'. I have them inserted as lighting positions and the pipes show up in 3D correctly. However, when I put lights on them, all the lights show up at the 17' Z height because that is what the z height of the lighting position is in the OIP. So looking at it in a side or section view, the pipe is angled, but the lights at the higher end of the pipe are flaoting in space ar an equivalent Z height to the other end of the pipe. Is there a way to make Vecotrworks underctand that the position is not parallel to the ground plane and show the lights on it accordingly?

Thanks,

Jeff