Names of Lights in OIP

JeffPPI

Hi all,

I'm speccing out lighting for a stage renovation, and I'm trying to name each particular light for it's focus point.

I clicked on the light, and in the "Data" tab of the OIP, i typed in a name, in this case "Light A". I repeated the process for the remaining lights on the truss. Then, I went into the Edit part of the pallet, focused it on the appropriate point (A). When i went back to the "Data" tab, the name i had given it was replaced with a number, as when I originally placed the light there.

Does the name reset every time you change the focus point?

sorry if i'm rehashing an old topic, but i didn't find a posting on my search for it.

thanks!

I would stay away from the name in the Data Tab. That way madness lies.

The number is an identifier number that every lighting fixture and accessory has to have.

For what you are trying to do, you might be better off using one of the 6 User Fields in the Shape Tab of the OIP.

This will also make it easy to put that data in a Label Legend and access it through worksheets.

hth

michaelk

Thanks for the tip, it will help.

The main annoyance factor was the name on the Visualization pallet. but, I just discovered that I can right click, select on document, and edit it to a name of my choosing. It stays with the numbers on the OIP, but in the VP it's the name I told it to be. useful work around, i guess.

Ah, yes. When you get a lot of lights the VP can seem overloaded.

The naming convention in the VP seems to be Channel Purpose UID - in that order.

If you don't have anything in the channel or purpose fields then it starts w/ the UID.

So, for your purposes, you could just enter your names in the channel field.

hth

michaelk