Nested Tools

I now see a problem I reported with a particular tool is a change affecting all nested tools.

Many of us nest tools on our tool pallettes to keep the size of the pallettes small, that is to maximize the free area of the drawing window. For example I keep rounded rectangle under rectangle and use "4" as the key shortcut (it was the number DG used before workspace editor).

So if I was drawing a lot of rounded rectangles, I could always go back to that tool, if it was the last tool selected at that position, with the 4 key.

In VW9, the key shortcut always goes to the default top position, i.e. rectangle in this case. And I now see that this behavior is typical for all nested tools.

In effect, there is no key short cut to nested tools anymore. So for any tool that is nested, I can only go to it by mousing over to the tool pallette.

The old way was a lot faster, and better in my opinion. Slow me a little here, a little there, and pretty soon I'm not so fast anymore. From a user's perspective I do not see any benefit in this change from v.8 to v.9.

Best,

Donald

Donald,

This is exactly the same as the behavior we had in VectorWorks 8.5.2. If you drop a tool with a shortcut into a sub menu, it will clear the shortcut.

I believe your are right here. At one point in either 7 or an earlier version of 8 this was feasible, but I believe this was disabled because it caused other problems

I will make a request that this be addressed in the future.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

Matthew,

With all due respect, I just launched 8.5.2 (mac) and the key shortcut is not lost for submenu items. I knew this was a changed feature in v.9 because I used nested tools a lot.

In 8.5.2 if I select the rounded rectangle (nested on my pallete), and the key shortcut always takes me to the "top" tool on the pallette, not the default top tool.

There is no error in my original post here.

Best,

Donald

Donald,

Thank you for the clarification. I understand what you talking about now. In 8, it assigns the hotkey to that button in the pallet, and calls whatever the top tool currently is. In 9 it is actually bound to the specific tool and will bring that to the top.

This inconsistency is a bug, and it's now been put on the list to be squashed.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

Matthew, Donald,

I believe the issue here may possibly have to do with the Mac version of 9.0. In my windows versions, 8.5.2 and 9.0 behave the same (as Matthew says), and behave exactly the way Donald wishes (per his description of 8.5.2 Mac).

VW 8.5.2 and 9.0.1

PII 333/192

Win 2000