Bring Back the Extend Tool

keithob

Wow, Sean, from the sound of number 2, definitely number 2. It's my humble opinion again, but it sounds very intuitive. If I understand correctly, you're saying it would be: first selecting all objects to be extended, then calling the new command, then clicking on the "extend to" object, right? That's just the reverse of the old Extend process, but with the added benefit of multiply selecting all objects first. I can imagine using Option-Lasso select on them, and if you're also talking about walls, it'll be quite a powerful tool. YES!!

<< 1) A single click extend tool (maybe a mode) that extends one line at a time to a selected boundary (a la 8.5).

2) A command that takes all of the selected lines/walls and extends them to a boundary that you click on after picking the command.>>

I vote for whichever has fewer mouse operations. If I still have to click on each object in both 1 and 2, either way would be just as easy. Either would be better than current click and drag for each line. However, if I could select the objects by marquee or option-marquee, then I could conceivable extend many lines with only 2 or 3 clicks. I think autocad users have that in their toolkit. I like to hear NNA asking questions like this. I do not worry about this getting worked out.

Best,

Donald

quote:

Originally posted by SeanFlaherty:

Which do you think would aid your drafting more?

1) A single click extend tool (maybe a mode) that extends one line at a time to a selected boundary (a la 8.5).

2) A command that takes all of the selected lines/walls and extends them to a boundary that you click on after picking the command.

Sean, thanks for asking a great question! 2) sounds attractive, given that you can zoom out after creating the selection set to find the object you want to extend to. The one problem to be worked out would be if the user selected an illegal object to extend. This could be handled the way some 3D boolean commands are handled, by giving a warning and automatically excluding the illegal objects.

Having this tool in no way negates the important advantages of having the new Connect/Combine tool. It would be great to have both capabilities.

As a die-hard user of VW v.8, I am still a little cautious to switch to v.9 in part because of all the discussion about the bugs and so forth. I checked out the demos at a recent conference and I didn't notice significant changes that would merit purchase of a v.9 upgrade based on how we use the software. Regardless, this news that the extend tool has been eliminated is pretty alarming. Like some of the other users, my co-workers and I use 'extend' and 'trim' a lot. So I wanted to let NNA know that there are more of us who would like these tools to come back if they are indeed gone. I also always wished there was capability to trim and extend with what is called a 'fence' in AutoCAD. That would increase speed ten-fold with these tools in particular. BRING BACK EXTEND!!