File Size (and other) Questions...

can someone tell me why a VW 9 file is almost exactly 2 times the size of a VW 8.5.2 file??

this is a 3D model with 59 3D objects and the file size is 6.2 megs.... the kicker is that i only have about 25% of my model done. already it takes 3 full seconds to Enter/Exit an Object...2 full second delay to Rotate 3D View.... i know that doesn't sound like long but, to someone who is proicient with the program, this becomes a hinderance. and don't even get me started on RenderWorks...

i've read the posts about the sacrifice of speed for a better foundation to build a better program....but.....having to restart my computer every 20-30 minutes is not an acceptable work around.

here's an idea for Nemetschek... with all the fuss you guys are making about the "Industry" series, add a few more... like one for the Machinists who need accuracy down to the hundred millionth of an inch...a release for those who don't use any rendering portion of the current VW and rely on other software to do rendering...

sorry about the rant......

Scott I sympathise with your delima, but I haven't seen the same symptoms you are describing. VW 9.0.1 chugs along just fine for me.

Mac 733 OS 9.2 384 Mb ram (150 Mb to VW9.0.1) VM on 385Mb

PC 800 Win 98 SE 256 Mb ram

My biggest problem with 9.0.1 is that I couldn't print using Power Plot on a mac network, but I later discovered that this was due to user error (my error) not VW 9.0.1. I hadn't increased my memory allocation for the Que Monitor when I installed Power Plot on my new computer. Now 9.0 on the other had was incredibly buggy.

Also in my experience the change in the cooridnate system has solved more problems than it has created.

my two cents

Scott, just out of curiosity, how big are your average VW Files.

I ask because our VW 9.0.1 files are usually around 4 to 5 megs. One thing that we may do differently is we don't try to keep a whole set in one file. The scale of our work is such that we can't be productive unless people can work on multiple sheets at the same time. So each sheet in the set is a seperate digital file with revelent information being referenced between sheets. Consequently I think our individual files may be simpler than the average VW user, which may account for the difference in performance between what I experience and what you describe. I'm not suggesting you work like this but I'd be interesed to know.

Also "Chuggs" was a bad choice of words, it runs fine.

Good Luck