Off-center glass leaf

GPSmith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Frank Brault

You are right that there is no direct way to create off-center leaves in the door object. Currently the recommended way is to draft the needed geometry, create a symbol from it and add it to a door object using the 'Use symbol geometry' checkbox in the General tab.

Although this is a bit more trouble, it preserves the 'doorness' of the object making it simple to schedule along with the other doors in the project and maintain non-graphic information such as fire-rating, etc. in a standard way.

Hello GPSmith, Sorry for the long delay. I was hoping someone would jump in...The only way to do this (that I am aware of) is to use a custom symbol, but it's pretty easy to create yourself. Start with the Door Plug-in, set to "cased opening". The model the door you want in 3d (I would do this in a straight-on frontal view). Then select the door and the cased opening and run the command: Modify>Create Symbol.

Be alert to the fact that you will probably need to go to top/plan view in order to move your extruded door into proper position along the x and y axis, as all extrudes are extruded from x/y = zero. Do this before making it into a symbol.

Also, you can make a "2d 3d hybrid symbol" by creating 2d objects (in top/plan view, they would represent the door and door swing, for example) and selecting them at the same time you are creating the symbol.

If you need more help, please post back.... P