AutoCAD vs Microstation vs ArchiCAD vs VW - BIM, IFC, DWG????

Hi Guys!

Having worked with first AutoCAD a couple of years, 5 solid years with Bentley Microstation Architectural and now 2 solid years of ArchiCAD, parallel to this VW (which i purchased privately) i have quite a good idea what they all stand for. After having read all the (heated) discussions on this forum, lately mostly about BIM and workgroups, I feel compelled to react. Mainly because EVERYONE! is looking for the answer to what program they want to be devoted to, as do i and forums like this often give a clearer understanding of the pros and cons, even though i have tried to stay away from committing to this discussion of comparison, i now feel compelled to throw in a few opinions even though i think it is a discussion on the same level as that of choosing between Mac and PC - very much depends on 'feeling' either you like it or you don't, problem is you have to work at least a year with a drafting program to get the 'real' feeling for it, not so easy when facing the big (economic)choice.

Personally i see myself more as a designer/artist than a technician/drafter, this definitely influences my opinion. AutoCAD i hate, Microstation is far to complex for it's own good (but don't get me wrong could already 5 years ago do far more than all the others can now!), ArchiCAD is a good straight forward drafting tool for architects doing large projects, however has limited 3D modeling capabilities outside regular walls, slabs, windows, doors etc. (for example, i haven't even found a straight forward extrude tool (yet)) , VW i would rate very close to ArchiCAD both in capability and feel however i find 3D modeling in VW, dare i say it, far better than AC.

At the moment everyone at my office uses AC as do i, however when it comes to doing fast 3D presentations and photomontages nothing beats VW, thats what i turn to. Generally i find AC more pliable doing straight forward drafting in large projects, however VW is more superior when it comes to graphics, both in 2D and 3D.

Having said all this I think that except for the price these programs are very similar! Again the choice i think depends on feel, i prefer VW

When it comes to comparing the BIM capabilities between these programs it's still far to early to make any kind of reasonable judgment because frankly i think we've all just got started and all these programs are headed in the same direction all be it approaching from different directions. So far the largest unsolved problem is compatibility, everybody is still to dependent on dwg. IFC is a start but also this is far to premature to be effective.

There you have it, remember this is my opinion, based on NORMAL use of these programs over time, I'm only an ordinary architect that enjoys using the currently available drafting tools, even though i am forced to use mainly AC daily i take every chance i get to use VW because i simply prefer the feel of it.