Materials alongside classes

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

I have been working on a template for one of my clients and came to a difficult situation. Not only must everything by hybrid, all has to be calculated, etc... . And my client want's everything to be simple and fast without the need to adapt thing himself. So while I was working on the template, I had troubles defining the class structure. I can use classes for visibility and I can use classes for attributes and I can use classes for grouping objects and search them in worksheets and I can use classes for all the previous. But because some objects will be of the same material, many classes will have the same attributes. Not a big problem? What if you don't know the materials before you start a project? Then you'll have a big problem. This is because you'll have to change different classes of attributes etc..., a lot of work! So I thought, what if VW has materials alongside classes? Then this problem will not be there anymore. And when I think more about it, I can think of many other things that will benefit from this.

The materials could have attributes for visible, invisible, section and 3D. Then when you make a section vw, the objects that have materialA will show different when cut through then when they are visible in the section, something that can't be done now.

You can get all objects from a certain class in a worksheet and see the material from each of these objects. This can be handy because sometimes, the same objects can have different materials. For example: all joinery is in PVC except for the front door which is in wood and has a different color.

You could group your walls by class like Wall-existing and Walls-new and give them a material like when an existing building has walls in concrete, brick, ... .

And when an object has no material, the attributes of the class will be given or the use can choose which attributes must be given to the object.

I am very interested in what others think about this idea. But personaly, it would be a major step forward.

2 answers to this question

i think that, potentially this is a great idea, but with the numbers of possible choices for materials available for any one item in any drawing, it could well be a long time coming.

Take door knobs and window handles, you have cheap alloys(the money savers) Brass, Mild Steel, Stainless, ABS, Porcelain(not popular but still an option for those who can), Ceramic, various Plastics, and the list goes on . . . .

Add the similar list that can be used for each and every part that can make up a house, car, wharehouse, turbine, gear, transmission etc. etc. not to mention all the variables that exist for each of those materials and the work needed to compile those list could mean it'll be a long wait.

i'm all for it. The time saved and info gained for every drawing would be great, but i think you'll find this is a long term project to build not a simple quickfix.

One thing that has become clear is that the ability to use Viewport Class overrides has lead to the need for many more classes than I once needed. This is because I want everything to be set to "Use at Creation," so I can control the graphic attributes more fully.

I wonder if your idea might enable similar benefits, but with less class definitions.