Sign in to follow this  
cameleyes

Export 2d draft problems

Hi guys,

Pretty new to Vectorworks.

Am exporting a simple page of table elevations with colour gradient fills to PDF.

The PDF keeps coming out grainy even though I've changed all plausible options (that I can think of).

I'm hoping someone can give me a simple solution that I've missed.

Please create a signature with your version of Vectorworks and computer specs including OS.

Are you exporting from a design layer or sheet layer with viewports?

Hey Ray,

Sorry will do the signature.

In the meantime.

Macbook Pro 1.83GHz 2GB Ram ATI Radeon X1600

Vectorworks 2009 Architect/Renderworks

Was exporting from Design Layer.

Edited by cameleyes

Ray,

Thanks for you patience.

Yes the gradient colour is better described as 'streaky' (white lines running through).

I would post image here but not too sure how you do that (apologies for any annoyance that might cause).

Matt

No annoyances here!

You can also post an image by clicking on the Reply link at the bottom of a post. Then use file manager to add a file.

I've attached 2 images

image of the exported pdf and an exported jpeg - although I've now realised I can resave jpeg as a pdf (in preview) and has no streaks. But still wonder why it happens in 1st place - u know why?

Matt

Edited by cameleyes

Hey

Think I've just sorted it - the PDF export DPI was 300 - I've taken it down to 72 and its all crisp now.

Does that sounds right?

It should be the opposite, the higher the DPI the better the resolution. You may just not have the horsepower for 300 DPI so backing it down works. Try raising it incrementally until it fails.

Ok so 72DPI is the max.

I'll try it on a macpro on Monday at the office and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Matt

Hi Ray,

Yeah was fine on the macpro - so thanks for that. Can only get up to 72 on my mbp though. Thanks for your help.

Btw could you suggest a good tutorial for 3d modelling on VW 2009?

We've had VW for a while but its only now we've decided to make it our primary piece of software so I'm having to get to grips with it all.

I don't really know a whole lot about tutorials, there is some on NNA's website and I know Jonathan Pickup's manuals get good reviews.

Maybe Jonathan will chime in here.

Let's not forget the vital the Printer Drivers play in organizing the print to PDF processes. On OSX we also have the benefits of ColorSyn.

72dpi is just the display 'standard' that's all. Printers use upto 33x that.

It might look fine on screen @ 72 because the Video fills in the details , but the printed page is DPI specific and the result will be unacceptably grainy.