Sheet layer class visibility overrides for referenced Design Layer Viewport

Mr. Roboto

I've been blithely clicking along using design layer viewports (DLV) to reference survey topography into my architectural drawings. This is great, I can keep all those confusing surveyor CAD classes from cluttering up my documents and by using the class overrides I can change the visibility of the survey drawing elements for easy viewing, e.g., turning all the topo lines from red to a subtle and pleasing gray.

Here's the problem: when I create a sheet layer viewport (SLV) and attempt to show the referenced DLV information, all of the DLV class visibility overrides disappear. My referenced, gray topo lines turn red again and there doesn't seem to be any way to change their appearance to something more appropriate for printing.

As I understand it, the whole point of DLV referencing is to make it possible to link files and save me the labor and confusion of importing all those topo lines into my architectural drawing or changing their appearance in the original Surveyor's file to match my printing standards. And the whole point of SLVs is to provide flexibility between how my drawing looks when I'm working on it and when I'm printing it. But this apparent flexibility breaks down if I have to alter the Design Layer appearance of every referenced file to match the SLV appearance I want for printing.

Have I misunderstood the VW workflow? Or is there a way to adjust the appearance of referenced DLVs when shown in SLVs?

ps--I'm still running VW 2008....