View keeps switching to 'Top' from 'Top/Plan'

I'm workin' away on elevations on a design layer, with a few layer links generated by the Model View tool as an underlay (on a separate DL, to keep it easier), and the view keeps switching back to 'Top' from 'Top/Plan' seemingly at random, but consistently. As I'm relying on snaps/smart points, this is proving quite a challenge, since they don't work on a lot of objects once I'm in 'Top' view, and of course sometimes it takes me a little while to notice. Is it something I'm doing or could somehow prevent?

I've found it really easy to accidentally hit the 3D selection tool (which automatically goes into Top view) instead of the 2D selection tool in the tool palette up in the top left corner of the screen. The first few times, I couldn't figure out what was happening, now I recognise it, but it was confusing for a while.

This kinda ties in with my previous thread re. accidentally duplicating objects, - it would be nice to be able to turn off the shortcut keys.

You just have to hit 'ctrl' '5' every now & again to put yourself back into 'top/plan' view.

The 5 on the numeric keypad at the right of your keyboard, not the 5 in the top row.

Ah, I've got a 'mini keyboard' (the Mac wireless), so no numeric keypad for me -- when I had one I never used it, and it just put my right hand (with the trackball) way off to the side, resulting in poor ergonomics and a cramped desktop...

And yes, I've been hitting 5 (5 on the PC) to switch to Top/Plan view periodically. Today I'll continue drafting with a redefined 3D Select Tool shortcut, so I'll get to see whether it was the X thing that was messing me up. As for turning off the shortcut keys, I don't imagine I'd ever want to do that -- I do as much as possible with the keyboard, so my approach will be to simply re-define those shortcut keys that are messing me up. Still wish NNA would give us greater flexibility in defining them, though (see this thread).