More control over attributes of symbol and PIO elements!

Markus Barrera-Kolb

Question

I want to be able to have select elements within symbols take on the attributes (line weight & style especially) of the class the symbol is assigned to. For instance, I want to be able to use the same symbol for, say, a lavatory, and then insert it on a class for new fixtures as well as a class for existing fixtures, and have some of the lines within the symbol take on the line weights of these respective classes (bolder for new, lighter for existing). I don't want to have to create separate symbols for new & existing stuff when it's exactly the same fixture or building element -- where would be the efficiency in that?

I also want to be able to control the line weight of, for example, door symbols using classes, and still be able to assign different line weights to parts of the door (via "Use Part Line Styles"). Currently this is not possible, and this is analagous to the situation described above. I want to be able to have classes for existing & new doors with different line weights, while still drawing all the doors with very light swing lines, and not have to override the line weights for each door PIO in its object attribute pallette in order to achieve the desired line weight. Line weights are a huge factor in how readable a drawing is, and good control over them is cruical to the CAD workflow...

1 answer to this question

I think this is an extremely important wish. I also asked for it a couple of years ago but Nemetschek didn't see the importance of this.

AutoCAD had this feature since I don't know when. All you do is make the elements take on a "by-block" attribute, then create the block, then place the block in the drawing and assign colour, line type, etc. to the block and the elements take on the block's attributes.

Please put this in VW2009.