Install VW 2008 on my MacBook Pro - help!

Question

Guest FlowMaster

Sorry to bug but I need to load this soon...I loaded earlier and tried to open it up and I get an error message telling me to reload it due to Preferences.xml can't be found. So I reloaded it and I'm still getting the same message!

Thoughts...Bueller....anyone?

Thanks so much!!

5 answers to this question

A little more info and another question.

1. Just running this as a Mac program, not as a parallel program running windows on my Mac. I just switched from the PC world to the Mac world - completely. Awaiting all those "seamless" Mac days to come to fruition.

2. When you ask me have I run disk utilities - I presume you mean the disk utility for the Mac Leopard rather than a "disk utility" from within VW's. Please elucidate.

Thanks!

Guest FlowMaster

Yes...multiple personalities...one from home one from work.

"Repair permissions after any install or update of VectorWorks"

I'll try that but seems odd...I just got my Mac and this is the first software that I've loaded onto it. Is this standard operating procedure for installing VW on Macs?

Thanks for you help! I have to hop on a plane but I'll try it after touching down.

Guest jkelly

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, but it's great to hear you got a Mac! Ray is right on this, it seems there is something odd with your permissions. But you are right as well, it's odd that your permissions wouldn't be right.

What I'd like to see if you can do for is get me some information about the permissions in a certain directory. We're going to introduce you to the command line on your Mac. The command line is a great place, you can do so much with it, and your Mac is now a true Unix, so you get some geek street cred!

Anyway, open up Terminal.app. In the Finder go to /Applications/Utilities/ and run Terminal.app

Now you will see a blank command line. You should see something similar to this:

Last login: Tue Jun 10 11:11:32 on ttys003
jkelly-mp:~ jkelly$ 

Yours should look the same, except obviously the dates and ttys will be different on the first line, and then on the second line (the prompt) where it says 'jkelly-mp' you will have whatever your hostname is, and where it says 'jkelly$' you will have whatever your username is followed by a dollar sign. At any rate, following along with the following steps:

jkelly-mp:~ jkelly$ cd Library/Application\ Support/
jkelly-mp:Application Support jkelly$ ls -lR > ~/Desktop/permissions.txt

Remembering of course that you will only be typing what is after the '$' on each line.

This should create a file called permissions.txt on your desktop. Could you email it to me? Thanks!