IFC and BIM Import/Export

This afternoon I was exploring the IFC related features in VW2008. First by creating files in VW, next exporting them as an IFC, and then importing the IFC into SketchUp. It seemed to work relatively well for the short time put into the work, but when I tried to import the same IFC file into VW the drawing was a complete mess both visually and data-wise. Has anyone been working with IFC and, more broadly, BIM? I have read much published by Nemetschek and others regarding there being at the forefront of this movement, but can't seem to find much, if at all, "How to info" on the training dvds or website.

Thanks for the input Jeffrey. Should we submit the bugs and files to a specific email address?

Also, beyond the issues that currently exist, is Nemetschek currently providing detailed information on this topic? Most, if not all, of what I know about IFC, the GSA, OPS, etc. I've learned from sources outside of Nemetschek. But at the same time, I am aware of the history and resources Nemetschek has allocated to this area.

Submit the bug via the website:

http://www.nemetschek.net/support/bugsubmit.php

The new BIM in Practice page (http://www.nemetschek.net/bim/index.php) will be the ever evolving clearinghouse for information regarding BIM for our users. I also encourage users to post their more specific BIM-related and IFC-related questions to the Architect Forum.

More details will emerge over the near future as I prepare additional demonstration projects for the BIM in Practice page and additional white papers that further clarify BIM workflows and methods using VW.