Radiosity

Could someone help me please

I've been trying to generate some images using radiosity.

Is it just me or does this take forever. When i say forever i mean i have a 4mb file with an object in it and about 5 lights and it is going to take about a week to achieve 60% radiosity setting. I'm doing this radiosity image at home on my desktop which has a 2ghz proccessor with 500 mb of ram (which i know will be slow), but i do have a laptop with 1.6 ghz core duo with 2 gb ram

If it does take forever .... WHY??

Is it the lights, the textures or the shaders which makes it take so long, or does it really just take forever.

Can anyone please help with any tips or tricks or settings or even plugin or vectorscript, because at the age of 38, i fear i do not have enough time left to embark on a trial and error exercise

Alan

at work on an i-mac 2.0 ghz core duo with 1 gb of ram (intel based which i have read is up to 3 to 6 times faster than the older macs

ps they take forever here at work also

i leave them running overnite but they are never finished in the morning (like no where near it).

I thought so,

im running the computers that are stated above but here they again:-

laptop with 1.66 ghz core duo with 2 gb ram ATI Radeon X14OO running on windows XP and using vectorworks 12.5.0

i-mac 2.0 ghz core duo with 1 gb of ram (intel based) ATI Radeon 2400 XT 128MB Ram running on OSX 10.4 and using vectorworks 12.5.0

even using fast radiosity seems to take several hours (again i have to leave it running over night

if you or anyone else could help me

please

Alan

It could be many things.

What type of lights are you using?

Do you have a lot of extrudes or sweeps made from arcs or circles?

Have you imported 3d objects with complex geometry?

Try updating Vectorworks to 12.5.3

As islandmon suggested post the file here or at least an image of what you are trying to render.

yes it definitely is complex

cant post an image cos i'm bound by confidentiality at the moment on this job

but yes it is complex.

maybe i'll do some tests on some simple extrudes first to see what happens.

thanks.

i do have a model of a logo that im doin though at home for a friend so ill post an image of that up tonight when i get home.

how do you post images up

cant seem to get this image up so ill describe it instead

its just a disc sitting the corner of a room which is made up of floor and two walls

walls have texture added and floor does to

disc is quite complex it is basically an ellipse with text through it and a rim around the outside i created it in solidworks and imported as an iges file and it is made up completely of nurbs surfaces

hope this helps

when i try to put the image up it asks me for a url does this mean the file path or does the image need to be on a website somewhere

ok think it does need to be on website so i will put it up on my website tonite and link to it

lights

there is 1 point light 1 spot light and 2 directional lights in the scene

floor has a shiny surface to it so that the disc is reflecting in it

the disc itself is pretty much made up entirely of arcs

1gb of memory seems to be ok

when i generate renderings it doesnt seem to use anymore than 3/4 of the 1gb

cpu meter goes up to 100% when the image appears , but otherwise seems fine

Edited by alantaylorking