3d Threaded Rod with Chamfer at each end.

Man oh man I never thought I would spend so much time with the Machine and fastener aspect of VW.

I assume that the best (and only?) way to build a 3d threaded rod with a chamfer on each end is by using and configuring the 'Shaft-3d tool????

It took me 2 hours to figure out how to configure the "Flatness" parameter with the correct number. Perhaps that is because I know nothing about the basics of doing machine parts, etc. I certainly could find NOTHING in any of the manual nor in the imbedded VW help Menu option. All it notes in both of those was "Type Flatness number here", with no explanation at all of what that number means or does in relation to the universe. Again, perhaps it is assuming that I know all the basics about thread pitch, major diam. P/8, etc but I had to learn the hard way.

Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to know if I am using the correct tool (Shaft-3d) to make the threaded rod I mentioned above.

Thanks

-Kev

Kevin,

Sorry you had so much trouble with the Shaft tool. I agree that there should be a better explanation for some of the parameters. As you had probably figured out, the flatness is a measure of the length of the flat portion of the thread, as a fraction of pitch length. (Would this description have helped you?) I will make recommendations to Pubs on how to clarify some of the descriptions. What else did you have trouble with? What kind of threads were you trying to create?

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Aloha Tom

Thanks for the response.

I finally figured out the Flatness formula, yes. My frustration was that there was no explanation in the manual nor in VW help to direct one to the math involved in arriving at the flatness. The manual just said ' type flatness in this field" or something close to that. I think it would be good for future version or manuals to include a description of now to figure out Flatness.

As you know all this is spec'd out, depending on the standards used for creating a specific thread. I mainly wanted conformation that the only tool that can build a 3d threaded rod with chamfers on both ends IS the Shaft tool, unless there is another option.

Thanks

-Kev

Hi Larry,

It's my responsibility to monitor this site for suggestions such as yours. I missed this one because I was on medical leave at the time and didn't return to work until early last year. I apologize for not asking someone to monitor this site in my absence. Please let me know if you know any other requests/suggestions I might have missed.

Also, can you tell me why it's important to control the minor diameter? It certainly would be easy enough to control the ?flatness? for standard threads in order to provide the correct minor diameter.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Thanks Tom,

The end result that we are looking for is the correct "flatness", without too much trial and error. The Major Diameter on a threaded part usually stays the same, for example a 1"-8 thread and a 1"-12 thread usually have a 1" Major Diameter.

The Minor Diameter, and the Pitch Diameter is larger on the 1"-12 thread and can be looked up and entered to produce the correct "flatness", or if the "pitch" is entered the correct "flatness" should be produced.

I just used Minor Diameter as an example to show the differences in a 1" threaded shaft, and how changing a variable that can be looked up, will work.

Thanks, Larry

Larry

In dealing with this company here in Hawaii, it was pointed out to me that the flatness can be different for major diam and minor diam. Vw makes the flatness the same for each as far as I can tell. There is not option to have separate input there. The guy asking me to make these various parts said it wasn't critical however and that as long as the flatness was correct on the outside edge of the threads it would work fine.

-Kev