Rendering Problem

Vanity

I'm using Vectorworks 12 to make some renderings of Macbeth. I have everthing plotted and only have 4 instruments turned on. If I ask the computer to render from the Top/plan view everything is fine. However, whenever I try to view the models from any other view or use either the camera or 3D-view all I get is a white screen. The only things visable are the symbols that indicate the istruments are on and the color of the light, but nothing else. If I make the Lighting devices invisible I can get renderings without lighting effects. If I make the Lighting devices visable I can't get anykind of rendering from any other view other than top/plan. I'm completely confused, does anyone have any advice?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

"The only things visible are the symbols that indicate the instruments are on and the color of the light"

I'm a little confused by this. What is visible that indicates the instruments are on and the color of the light?

In a 3D view you should only see the 3D outline of the lighting instrument.

Only other thought is that you are drawing on multiple layers and not rendering using ViewPorts or layer links.

What does your drawing look like in a wireframe 3D view? Can you see the lights and set in a 3D wireframe view at the same time?

I thought it might be a problem with the layers, so I moved everything to a single layer and it didn't help. I can see everything in a wireframe view. If I switch to any other style of rendering, however, I get the problem I discribed above.

The symbols I'm talking about can be found on Page 13-20 of the Vectorworks 12 Fundamentals manual. In the section called "Adding Light Sources" the graphic I'm seeing is the same as the one listed under "Mode: Spot Light". A cone with an arrow going down the center, the pointed end being formed by another cone the general color of the gel I selected.

I'm pretty certain the problem has something to do with the instruments. If I turn the instrument class off I can get renderings without lighting effects without problem. If I turn them on and look at the same scene it goes white.

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but try setting the lighting values lower {brightness(%)}. Also play around with different type of lights. A spotlight might give a more dissirable light in certian situations. You can also try to lower the layer ambience level, but I doubt that is the fualt in this case