simple gobo lighting

I have 12.5 and I am new to Spotlight... I've read the instructions on inserting lights, creating gobo textures, etc... which I understand, but it all seems very cumbersome (at least for someone who is not a lighting designer). Basically, I just want to use Spotlight to cast logos onto drape, floor, walls, etc. for my client renderings. Is there an easier way to do this? If not, and if I just want to throw a Gobo on something, is there a specific light (or light set) I should be using from the Resource Browser? If so, any recommendations on which brand and model of light I should use for this?

I also read some posts saying that the documentation on the Custom Renderworks Settings needed to render Gobo textures is incorrect... is this true? Will Final Quality Renderworks show Gobo textures?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The tools in Spotlight are geared for a lighting designer. the symbols included with Spotlight have data included with them that automatically tells the rendered light the correct spread for the rendered light.

If you are just trying to place and render a logo, I'd recommend using symbols form the ETC library. You will see instruments named Source 4 followed by a degree number ranging from 5 to 90.

The larger the degree of the unit the larger your projected image will be for a given distance.

So follow the steps to place, focus and assign a gobo to a light using one of these instruments and see what you get. You don't need to create a position or set up a label legend, you just need a lighting device and the focus point.

Final Quality RW will work fine, using the Custom RW settings will speed the rendering up a little.

Edited by klinzey