Vectorworks interface improvements

Having had Vectorworks 12.5 for quite a while now, and using 11.5 for a few years before that, and also using 8.5 for a few years before then, there are a few issues I would really like remedied for Vectoworks 2008, in regards to the interface:

- One issue (a large one) is object snapping. For some reason the interface for snapping feels clunky or difficult. When moving an object from one location to a node on top of another object, sometimes the object is offset without your knowledge, and you have to undo and redo it again. It is also very difficult to detect which point you are snapping to. I would like to suggest that the AutoCAD method of snapping is far superior, with an identifiable symbol appearing on top of an object node you are snapping to (we can keep the smart cursor cues, such as 'point', but just circle the actual point you are snapping to).

- It is a little tiring to try and get the right 'resize or move' cursor on an object node. The toggle button in the pointer command (to toggle between resize and move) is useful to a point, but we need a hotkey or modifier key to turn this on or off (ie. pressing cmd and click dragging resizes, otherwise it just moves). My aim is to reduce the number of clicks or movement to the upper end of the main window.

- Priority should be given to selected objects when moving them, otherwise adjacent objects will always be selected instead if they are higher in the object stack. It is more likely that the user will be performing an operation on the selected object than move an adjacent / object in the same position. If not, it is easy to deselect and reselect the adjacent object.

- Tabbing when an object is selected should immediately select the first text field in the Object Info palette, not the location text field at the top of the main window. This is because locations are more likely done using snapping more than in coordinates from the drawing origin, you are more likely to change the parameters of the object when it is drawn.

- Geometry under other geometry is impossible to select - a modifier key should enable alternative object selections in the vicinity of the select point.

- The 2D resize modifier should act on rectangles and portions of groups. Rectangles should be automatically coverted to polygons if they are reshaped.

- Callout tool should remember your preference to draw from the object first, then text location second (reverts everytime Vectorworks is reopened).

This is not to say the other improvements to Vectorworks are not necessary - in fact I find the various other interface enhancements and other additions are great improvements to the productivity of the program. The issues above, however, are still present throughout these many versions of the program, and I am bringing them to attention to prevent them from falling completely off the roadmap.

Thanks for reading the lengthy post,

Patrick

- It is a little tiring to try and get the right 'resize or move' cursor on an object node. The toggle button in the pointer command (to toggle between resize and move) is useful to a point, but we need a hotkey or modifier key to turn this on or off (ie. pressing cmd and click dragging resizes, otherwise it just moves). My aim is to reduce the number of clicks or movement to the upper end of the main window.

The U key ( in the default workspaces) toggles the modes in the first group (i,o,p do the next groups). Since the 2D selection tool only has a single mode in the first group, you can easily toggle this on and off without moving the mouse to the upper left.

- Geometry under other geometry is impossible to select - a modifier key should enable alternative object selections in the vicinity of the select point.

Have you noticed the Force Select command in VW12 in the contextual menu? I think it is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Pat

The U key ( in the default workspaces) toggles the modes in the first group (i,o,p do the next groups). Since the 2D selection tool only has a single mode in the first group, you can easily toggle this on and off without moving the mouse to the upper left.

Thanks Pat, didn't actually notice this - it's good, though is there a way to customise this key? (say, to 'r' or similar) I looked in the workspaces editor and couldn't find it.

Have you noticed the Force Select command in VW12 in the contextual menu? I think it is what you are looking for.

The Force Select command doesn't seem to allow you to select other objects on top of each other. (say, if I have a balcony slab, with walls on 3 sides and a balustrade on the 4th, all on the same layer, the ability to select the slab object if the other objects are in front of it).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Edited by patrickhubble

Thanks Pat, didn't actually notice this - it's good, though is there a way to customise this key? (say, to 'r' or similar) I looked in the workspaces editor and couldn't find it.

Workspace Editor: Misc. Keys tab: Mode Groups

The Force Select command doesn't seem to allow you to select other objects on top of each other. (say, if I have a balcony slab, with walls on 3 sides and a balustrade on the 4th, all on the same layer, the ability to select the slab object if the other objects are in front of it).

Thanks for the suggestions though.

How about using the Option (Alt) key and dragging a marquee? This will select every object that is touched. You can then Shift Click on the one on top to deselect it.

How would your system work if there where three or more object on top[ of each other?

Pat

Workspace Editor: Misc. Keys tab: Mode Groups

Brilliant! Thanks Pat thats great.

How about using the Option (Alt) key and dragging a marquee? This will select every object that is touched. You can then Shift Click on the one on top to deselect it.

How would your system work if there where three or more object on top[ of each other?

Pat

I use the deselect method often - but it is a round about way, and yes it doesn't work for 3 objects or more. If an alternate-click method is used, it could just scroll through them if there are more than 2 objects (from front to back).

Thanks Pat!