Basic drawing tools

mralistair

Question

Following a thread in general discussions someone suggested I added these items to the wish list.

I work with existing buildings mostly and tend to use vectorworks very much as a 2d LINE drawing tool. and the basic functions of line creation and editing are sorely lacking.

1. Point to point copy. moving an object relative to different objects. I know it's available as a plug in. it should be built in.

2. rotate copy (come on people, why isn't this there?)

3. A copy tool (!?)

4. A Move tool (!!?) I know these are possible by dragging etc but it is inconsistent not to have the tool, plus it confuses new users

Improvements are also needed to moving and copying procedures. If i've selected an object, then click to drag it, if i select a point that is also shared by an other unselected object, i loose my selection and get the new object rather than moving my first one. this is irritating.

the basics need to be right, at the moment they are vague and incosistent... and no-amount of us-centric housing plug-in tools is going to make up for it.

oh and rotate view.. but you knew that already... i hope.

6 answers to this question

The copy operation & move operation are menus in just about every software program across the board.

Menus are usually used to perform an operation on something already created in the document.

Tools are traditionally used to create a new type of object.

You'll find this to be the case in most software applications.

mralistair said:

Following a thread in general discussions someone suggested I added these items to the wish list.

I work with existing buildings mostly and tend to use vectorworks very much as a 2d LINE drawing tool. and the basic functions of line creation and editing are sorely lacking.

1. Point to point copy. moving an object relative to different objects. I know it's available as a plug in. it should be built in.

2. rotate copy (come on people, why isn't this there?)

3. A copy tool (!?)

4. A Move tool (!!?) I know these are possible by dragging etc but it is inconsistent not to have the tool, plus it confuses new users

Improvements are also needed to moving and copying procedures. If i've selected an object, then click to drag it, if i select a point that is also shared by an other unselected object, i loose my selection and get the new object rather than moving my first one. this is irritating.

the basics need to be right, at the moment they are vague and incosistent... and no-amount of us-centric housing plug-in tools is going to make up for it.

oh and rotate view.. but you knew that already... i hope.

VectorWorks 2008 should make you very very happy! http://www.vectorworks2008.net/

The new features include:

- a Rotate Plan command.

- a Move by Points tool that has copies and distribution options.

- a Rotate a Copy capability.