Viewports>Border Disappearing>How to get it back?

I use 11.5 but I have never been able to work out how to turn the viewport border on or off. It appears if I create it on a class in the design layer that is on in the Sheet layer but if that class is off in the sheet layer, the view in the view port is visible but the outline/border has gone. And i cannot get it back.

VW help is no good. And a search of this Message Board yielded nothing.

Its seems obvious that the class should control the visibility of the viewport border not the view port itself as is done in AutoCAD. If you don't want a view port you delete it or push it outside the page boundary.

Can anyone help?

When I print a 'sheet' layer onto real paper with multiple 'viewports' some of my viewports have a visible line around them and some of them don't. It seems to depend which class I created the original box (subsequently converted to a viewport) on the design layer.

This line I call the 'viewport border' and it helps organise the real world drawing. I have searched fruitlessly and still have no idea how to control it except to recreate the viewport from scratch.

Surely the display of this line can be turned on and off.

Its definitely not the grey printer margin and its almost the same as the crop line you mention but the crop line can be made visble in software for editing but it doesn't effect the display either on the sheet layer view or the paper print out.

thanks

It sounds like in some cases you either have a crop or don't have a crop, or the class the crop is in is set to be visible in the viewport and/or the drawing.

Check your class visibilities for both the drawing and the viewport to see if something is invisible that shouldn't be.

You may want to set all classes to be visible for the drawing and one of the viewports with the missing crop. Edit the viewport to enter the crop mode, select the crop object and see what class it belongs to. Then you know which class has to be visible in the viewports in order to see the crop.

If you enter the crop and you don't see a crop line when all classes are visible, then there isn't a crop line. You can simply draw a simple shape here in the edit viewport / crop mode if you desire a crop for a specific viewport.

Looks more and more like a bug to me.

With all classes visible still no line. (nb my other viewports have lines and they are visible).

I notice the fact that the view port crop can be on two classes at the same time. In viewport crop edit mode it is on the class you created it in. In sheet view the view port can be moved to a new class without affecting the viewport crop edit class. I can edit the line width , type and colour in viewport crop edit. GREAT i wanted to do that.

I did an experiment. I created a a number of different viewport boxes on the design layer with a number of combination of off and on classes. Well the display of the lines is quite erratic. Seems to depend on a combination of factors. Sometimes you cannot edit them sometimes you can. Sometimes no line at all in the Sheet View. Going to have to give up on understanding what controls what here.

Any more tips on view ports? I have only ever been able to create one by drawing a box in the design layer and then using view>create viewport. The other method doesn't work.

BTW You cannot draw a border box (or any other line) while in Viewport edit crop mode. It won't let you.

David

Send the file to me and point out which viewports you are having the problem with. I'll look into the file.

If you can't draw a crop while in edit crop mode, you should be getting a message stating only one crop object can be created.

This indicates a crop obj already exists for the viewport.

If you don't see it, then there's a class visibility problem.