Re: Fillets. Need work.

Either I am insane, inept, or completely misunderstanding the fillet tool. When attempting to create a fillet between two arcs (who share endpoints, are planar, and are created in VW itself by tracing over imported .DWGs from SketchUp), the tool fails in strange and unpredictable ways. Sometimes the fillet simply is not created, with no visible output from the program as to why. Other times one of the original arcs disappears, having been replaced by the fillet arc and a line on the wrong side of the fillet. I am operating under a tight deadline and just wanting to fillet a few hundred corners without too much stress. To test my sanity, I tried exporting a .DWG and importing it into ViaCAD (a $99[!] 2d and 3d package now sold through Punch! software). Every single intersection which failed to fillet in VW (I have Fundamentals - $995?!) was flawlessly created. Why? For $896 I would hope VW would be more robust, easier to use, and more informative to the user. (Can you tell I'm getting just a bit miffed?)

Robert, I'd disagree that there's a training issue. My experience is that the fillet tool is indeed unpredictable and sometimes incorrect when it comes to filleting objects with curves. I can understand Mark's frustration. Also there are no cursor cues when using the tool and this can create further issues.

Perusal of the forum seems to indicate the problem has been around for a while now.

Robert and I worked through this a bit, and did determine that a bug exists in the current fillet tool - but one that is already fixed in the next version. Quote from Robert:

Mark, your particular file poses some interesting issues for VectorWorks and

how it deals with arc-smoothed polyline files. It's clear from the way

you've described your problems online that you've experimented fairly

thoroughly with the workflow to accomplish what you want, and in the doing

you've hit on a precision bug (the one that is causing your large-radius

arcs to vanish).

As it turns out, this precision bug has already been fixed in an upcoming

release, but that does you no good, because the upcoming release is

available only to official beta-testers. The bug is that, when filleting a

very large-radius arc with a small-radius arc, the fillet tool gets confused

and deletes the wrong portion of the large arc. As you probably have seen,

it doesn't happen on all vertices, only some.

Arrgh. I am also having major problems with the fillet tool after upgrading to 12.5, worked fine in 11.5 but things that I had done over and over in 11.5 produce strange results very frustrating!

The fillet and trim does not work properly I have to use just fillet and manually trim. Trying to fillet between a line and arc is ridiculous.

Why was this messed with???

When is this going to be fixed?