Custom Title Block

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but am a mainly self-taught vectorworks user for about 7 years now. I recently took a workshop in 3D modeling in Columbus, OH where the presenter showed us a few ways to utilize the 2D components more. One way was with customizing title blocks.

I have followed the directions on the Help tab for VW, it works well except that the title block's origin won't set to the bottom right corner. I have done this multiple times in different files. It is driving me bonkers. Any suggestions to what I am missing?

Tammy

Edited by tammy

Hi Tammy,

I too am a self taught VW user so I learn as I go...

I also created a custom title block with a drawing border attached, as one symbol. In the dialog box where it asks you to name the symbol and it's insertion point, I checked Plan Projection Center. Now when I bring in the new title block/dwg border, it snaps to the center of the Print Border.

I've done this only last week so I'm hoping it will continue to "work for me" as I create dwgs.

If anyone out there reading this knows if this IS the way to do it or not, please let us know. Thanks!

What is DBO? Today I have created 4 sheets to print and each time, all I had to do was to go to the Resource Browser where my custom title block/dwg border is, click and drag it onto my dwg (anywhere, I don't try to line it up with anything), and as soon as I let it go, in about 2 seconds, it drops it nicely directly on top of the Print Area. Am I missing something? It's real slick!

Plopping the symbol itself down on the drawing will work, but you'll have to manage the data per symbol on the Data tab of the OIP.

When you start to juggle a number of sheets and have to keep updating titleblocks with revision notes or sheet number changes, it is easier to use the Drawing Border Object and manage the titleblock from inside the DBO's object info palette.

On the other hand, it sounds like you made a red-object symbol out of a pre-configured DBO w/ titleblock in it. IN which case, you're all set.

CD

As a matter of fact, I have ALWAYS had to manage the data thru the OIP, even though the box is checked that states I want the info to follow onto all sheets of that file (This has NEVER worked for me, which makes filling these out very cumbersome indeed) In the past, I have tried using all of the different methods of adding a title block/dwg border to my dwg and always end up reading about how to get it to work for me (I've been using VW for about a year now, and am self taught so I'm sure there are many things and tricks I don't know yet. I can't wait to get more efficient with it!)

I am still confused on how to use the sheet layers and the title blocks. I thought I was clear on it. I tried to create a viewport and put it into the sheet layer, but no luck. Where should the title block and border live (which class, layer, or sheet layer-?

Tammy

That's what I wonder...my boss puts it on the None class, but when I do that, it disappears. I've was creating a class called Titleblock. When I've placed my viewport onto the sheet, I then make the titleblock class active, and bring it in. But I too just don't know what is the best was to do it. I get nervous using the None class for anything because I may delete it, thinking there's nothing there. Does anyone who has been doing this for awhile have a good way of dealing with Tblocks?

If you put it on the none class, then the none class is probably set to be invisible OR class options limit other classes from being visible.

Don't worry about deleting the none class -> VectorWorks won't let you. :)

If you like to use a short classing system, then the "none" class is fitting.

If you have a more involved project and like a lot of classes, some people choose to put the title block on a "notes" class, or something similar.

Ideally, the goal is to use as few classes and layers as a project needs. Since the none class is already there, and should (for the most part) be visible the majority of the time, it's a good idea to go ahead and place it there.