Importing ACAD x-ref

This may be under the topic Moon Music but here goes. Is there some way when importing an ACAD file to maintain the x-ref information & import the referenced drawings? Generally I import the multiple files that make up the x-refs and reassemble as required. I can get the x-ref info from the consultants but from what they tell me there isn't an ACAD version the VW12 breaking the Workgroup Reference while leaving the information in the document.

VW12.5.1 Intel Mac Mini OSX

If you have the suite of files that make up the destination file and all files making up the xref's, the Batch DXF/DWG Import command will convert all the files in the folder in one folder and set the references.

This eliminates the need for the AC user to bind the xref's to the file.

... they tell me there isn't an ACAD version ...

The consultants are wrong. Autocad can make the whole thing into one file with just 5 clicks. Tell them to "Bind" the externally referenced files:

- In Autocad's "Xref Manager" (same command as for creating an Xref), select all the xref'd files and click "Bind".

- Then select either "Bind" or "Insert" and click "OK". The "Insert" option keeps the layer names the same as in the original files, whereas the "Bind" option adds the name of the xref file to the front of all its layers' names, so that you can distinguish xref stuff from host file stuff or other xref file stuff.

Either way, each xref'd file becomes a "Block" (VW Symbol) in the host file. Then they can "Explode" the blocks, or you can Convert Symbol to Group and Ungroup, if you want.