Walls and network

vsd

Walls, even unstyled, check the default library at every user interaction event. Even simple selecting a wall triggers a check of the library. Even if the walls are unstyled.

In the office where I work we have -bless it- an awfully slow network: 10Mbits/s split in two parts to make room for the internal telephone line. Under this -subreal- configuration any heavy network transaction is a painful process that never risks to go unnoticed.

Recently I moved all my library folders on the server, in order to secure a daily backup. All of a sudden I experienced extreme delays in using my files when dealing with walls. This while my working files still are local in my own computer, not on the server (unthinkable to work on network files). It took me a while to understand what the issue was: walls and favourites.

Some numbers:

Calling the Walls tool: network activity 72%

Selecting a wall(unstyled): network activity: 53%

Selecting a wall(styled): network activity: 62%

Changing (unstyled) wall class: network activity: 65%

and so on.

Favourites delay the loading of a file for minutes at every VW start, but I guess I can, must live with that.

please do not tell me to do something about this "network". I would gladly do something, if it was in my power to do it.

It would be great if walls didn't check the library under ANY condition, but only under CERTAIN condition. Thus saving a little CPU and, in my -miserable- case, a lot of bandwidth.

Thank you,

vsd