Custom Title Block

JWHoffman

Fairly new to the VW Circuit and have a question. I'm trying to create a master document that allows me to do my rigging plot, lighting plot, seating, layout, and cover page in one shot. That's the easy part.

I'd like to be able create a custom title block in which I put in one set of information (re: Venue, Show Title, Rev. Date, etc., etc.) and it changes on each of those sheets automatically. I know VW Mechanical will create and link records to the title block, BUT I only have Spotlight. Is there another way for me to do this with this program?

FYI, using VW 11.5

Here is my approach:

All of my project geometry exists on a single design layer.

Drawings/plates are created using ViewPorts that reference the geometry/project elements.

The ViewPorts "live" on Sheet Layers that contain title blocks and borders. The only difference between my different Sheet Layers are their intended final drawing size.

I control ViewPort visibility using class visibilities and Saved Sheets.

The title block is a symbol and the same for each instance (each Sheet Layer). Therefore, things like the project name and other details are the same, regardless of the sheet it is on.

Within the title block symbol are text elements that "live" in different classes. Therefore, by changing class visibilities for different saved sheets, I am changing the specific drawing name (rigging, scenic, lighting, etc.), its plate number, and its scale - as shown in the title block. I have scripts that automate this a little, including getting the scale of specific ViewPorts.

Forgive me if I've confused you - or muddied the waters more than you'd wanted. This is simply the way I've grown to like working. If you're interested, I have a sample template file posted at www.landrudesign.com/Downloads_Main.htm. It might give you a rough idea of what I've tried to describe...